Thursday, March 20, 2008

HELP!!!!

Okay, I have a question for all you mommies with children young and old. Even if I don't know you, feel free to chime in your opinion. I AM DESPERATE.

My son has a very hard time a lot of the time being respectful to adults, whether it's his parents or teachers, aunts/uncles (Morgan, I know you can vouch for this), etc.

I feel like we have tried everything and am now at the point where I am tempted to cancel his birthday party to let him know we are serious about his behavior.

What I'd like to know is what you all think about this type of punishment. Is it fair for us to take away his party?

Please help.

2 comments:

Just a girl and her thoughts said...

Hmmm, this is a hard one. I always tell my kids EVERY MORNING "be kind, be polite and be respectful"
Does he know what being respectful means? Have you broken it down to him? Have you stopped him right when the act happens and told him exactly how that makes YOU feel? If you have and he still does it, I would treat him like a little kid. If you act like one, then you get treated like one. Take away all big kid things, friends, toys, whatever the case may be. Maybe threatening taking away the big b-day party would do it, for now, but you can't always rely on taking something away.
Isn't parenting fun? I thought it'd get easier as they got older but it doesn't. It gets harder and more expensive! I'll think about it more and give more suggestions if I have any! Love ya cuz.

saucysosville said...

Daisjurr had this same problem when he first moved in with us and it was very difficult. We ended up taking all privileges away (TV, phone, everything but the bed and food) and every time he did something good we gave one privilege back at a time and if he was disrespectful we took it away again. We didn't yell or get mad we just explained to him that everything is an earned privilege and told him the consequences and if he through a fit oh well. We told him that all people deserve respect young and old and he doesn't have the right to treat people badly. It took almost a year of doing this and David and I both strictly sticking to it but it did end up working and know he never gets in trouble at school or with us. Now all we have to do is get him to do his homework all of the time not just some of the time.